A sea change in weather forecasting
Salient brings together world-leading experts in physical oceanography, climatology and the global water cycle, machine learning, and business growth to create the new standard in subseasonal-to-seasonal weather forecasting. Our core technology evolved from decades of research at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution and MIT. Today, we’re harnessing that ability to help enterprise customers stay prepared, become more resilient, and make informed business decisions.
An idea worth its salt
Salient began with a simple, yet revolutionary idea: Could salinity in the ocean be a natural predictor of rainfall?
After studying 1993’s severe flooding in the U.S. Midwest, Woods Hole scientist Ray Schmitt theorized that supplying those floods required a large region of the ocean to lose significant water to evaporation. Over the next decade, Ray and his team tested and refined this theory. In 2016, he teamed with his sons Eric and Stephen—engineers with an interest in machine learning—to enter the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation’s S2S Forecast Rodeo. Their model stunned everyone, outperforming all other entries, including several of the world’s foremost forecasting companies, and laid the foundation for Salient Predictions.
Salient puts scientific knowledge to work to help people and organizations better understand and prepare for the increasing volatility of climate change. Armed with more accurate and longer-range forecasts, we help mitigate risk, improve preparedness, increase resilience—and provide insights that will help people adapt to the realities of climate change and, we hope, improve society’s current trajectory.
- Head of Global Business Development at Jupiter Intelligence
- Founder and CEO of multiple software startup businesses
- GE Software and GE Capital executive
- 40-year career in physical oceanography research and technology
- Scientist Emeritus, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
- NASA Earth Science Advisory Committee
- >100 refereed publications, >10k citations, h-index 48
Co-Founder, Chief ScientistLinkedin
- Ph.D. Climate and Ocean Science, MIT/WHOI Joint Program
- NASA Earth and Space Science Fellow (NESSF)
- Expert in the global water cycle and its shifts with climate changes
Head of Machine LearningLinkedin
- Ph.D. Neural Systems and Machine Learning, BU
- Experience as Data Science and AI lead across supply chain tech, environmental policy, maritime trade and energy market prediction
- Innovator with previous patent for novel machine learning methods
Co-Founder, Data ScientistLinkedin
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering, Tufts University
- Winner of USBR Sub-Seasonal Climate Forecast Rodeo
- Senior Engineer at Veryst Engineering
- Lead Engineer at Neil Brown Ocean Sensors
- 25+ years of experience in renewable energy and climate
- Experienced founder and co-founder in multiple climate-focused technology companies
- BS and MS in Atmospheric Sciences with focus on numerical weather prediction, computational hydrology, and climate risk.
Susie Kim Riley
- Multiple-time founder and C-level executive
- Founder and CTO, Camiant
- CMO, Tekelec
- Founder and CEO, Aquto
- President and Director of Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, 2015-2020
- Dean and Professor, College of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences at Oregon State University, 1988-2015.
- National Science Board, 2006-2012
- President, Oceanography Society, 2013-2014
- Head of Product & Growth, ClimateAI
- VP Product & Strategy, Ceres Imaging
- Co-founder Stanford Alumni in Food & Agriculture
- Chief Scientist, Saildrone, 2019-2021
- Physical Oceanography Program Manager, NASA, 1997-2019
- Co-Chair, Interagency Ocean Observation Committee, 2010-2019
- Chair of Ocean Observation Panel for Climate, World Meteorological Organization, 2009-2013
- Assistant Professor of Meteorology and Atmospheric Science, Penn State University
- PhD in Climate Dynamics, Duke University
- Applying Bayesian statistical inference, climate modeling, and machine learning techniques to assess the predictability of the climate system.
- Director of Earth Information Programs at SilverLining
- Co-founder SK-Analytics (sub-seasonal disease forecasting)
- CTO Submarine, ocean carbon sequestration
- Head of Research, Fabric RQ (2019-2022)
- Associate Director of Earth System Prediction, Jupiter Intelligence (2017-2019)
- Research scientist at the National Center for Atmospheric Research (2005-2017)
At Salient, our culture is grounded in the sciences. We embrace a spirit of curiosity, peer review, intellectual honesty, candor, and respect. We believe that it is important to be very good at what you do, while understanding that maintaining humility in the face of grand challenges is crucial for continued success.
We are always looking for bright, collaborative, self-motivated, and outcomes-oriented individuals to join our team. Explore our open positions and apply today!